Saturday, February 12, 2011

What is "repurposing"?


People ask me  all the time, "what do yo do with all your time since you retired?"  When I try to explain that I am selling things at Happys that I "repurpose", I get this blank look...like what does that mean and then when I go into detail I end up changing the subject because it seems too confusing.  I usually move the conversation along by saying, "I help take care of my grandson whenever needed and I volunteer with my church" (I think that is what they expect me to say).

Well if you notice on the sign above this is the description of what I do at a short glance. 

So what does it mean to "repurpose"?  The official definition is modifying an item to fit a new use, or using the item is in a new way....blah, blah, blah.  I also, refurbish, refashion, and reimagine things that I find at yard sales, thrift stores, clearance sections of stores, auctions, estate sales, and sometimes alongside the road.  Actually, the less money I spend on "repurposing", the less money I charge for my items...it's a win/win for everyone.

Let me show you what I mean...

 BEFORE

  AFTER                                   

 

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE


AFTER

So that gives you an idea of what I spend my time doing in my garage. 

But you know what, I think, God is using the next stage of my life to "repurpose" me...I think He is modifying me to fit a new use, or using me in a new way...Just like I search for these items, clean them up, get them ready to sale...I think God does the same for me...He searches for me (when I wander away), He cleans me up (when I fall short) and He gets me ready to serve (if I pay attention and allow Him to lead the way).  To tell you the truth it is an adventure everyday to see what He will do next.  I am glad I am a "repurposed" soul in this beautiful world He has created...I hope one day He will claim me as an UNexpected Treasure!

Remember,
God is always at work around us
and often shows Himself
in the most “unexpected” ways.      


         Pat


1 comment: